Pages

Hola! Ahlan Wa Sahlan... Welcome to my kitchen blog!
Keep your eyes wide open while blogwalking here, you may stumble upon some points that might be of your interest. I am sharing it here with you so that you may learn from my mistakes and help you to get 'there' faster. On the other side, if you are much more experienced than I am, it would be very much appreciated if you're willing to share you experience with me too ;)) Enjoy your blogwalking!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Gateau L'Opera



I really didn't know how I ended up making this exclusive cake. I name it exclusive, because the process is somehow complicated. However, I am glad that I have passed the test.

It started when a far relative of mine asked me if I could make tiramisu or gateau africain. Tiramisu isn't a problem, but gateau africain I had not done it yet. She said that she has a few occasion in May, including her birthday and her sis', her wedding anniversary and the arrival of her new baby boy just one week before her birthday.

During the week before her birthday, I was so tempted to make this masterpiece called L'Opera. I had been reading and comparing recipes from different web sites. Somehow my choice fell onto Dorie Greenspan's The Splendid Table whom adapted the recipe from Dalloyau, the Parisian patisserie. I proposed this cake for her birthday and she said okay! Tamtaraaam.....

I started two days in advance by making the joconde (almond cake). In fact all parts of the cake can be made in advance. You can either keep it airtight in the fridge up to a week or in the freezer for up to two months.
After making the joconde I made all the fillings, coffee syrup, coffee buttercream and ganache. I leave the chocolate glaze to do it at the very last minute when the cake is assembled.

What I can tell you, since it was my very first opera, I kept on looking at the recipe and (still) comparing it to others :). So, i ended up quite late since I started. Fortunately, I have to leave all the ingredients in the fridge before starting to assemble them into one piece. Hufff...

The following day, after work and after dinner -hehe- I started assembling the cake. Doing it layer by layer. It was such an exciting process (well, at least for me though :)). I can feel my adrenaline hurried down my spine and I feel the excitement in my blood.

Well, enough said. I'll let you peep into my excitement ;)

Here it is >>



Another thing that I can say is: it is worth the try. Really worth.

[Special thanks to Meita for the challenge]

No comments:

Post a Comment